Friday, October 27, 2006

I am a member of AAA


As someone who recently (and very stupidly) left her lights on for about 3 hours while she worked on this very blog in the library, let me expound upon the wonders of having a AAA membership. Now while many (ok all) of the important reasons to have a membership with the American Auto Association have to do with your car, having a AAA membership means a lot more than just the comfort of knowing who to call should you ever have a problem on the road. There are a number of significant discounts that are opened up to you when you join: discount movie tickets, discount tickets to major attractions, fee free travelers cheques, discounts on auto insurance, a cell phone discount with Cingular, plus a number of show your card and save programs. I am particularly fond of the discounted movie tickets, as movies can be quite expensive these days. My mom likes to buy the certificates and give them out as gifts, sometimes as part of a whole "movie theater-themed" basket, with some microwave popcorn, bags of candy, and some sodas. In terms of the actual intent of the membership, their roadside service is absolutely excellent, with exceptionally friendly operators who are thorough and precise as well as sympathetic. Upon calling for a jump when I found my battery dead, I was told a truck would arrive within the hour, and a guy actually showed up within 20 minutes of me calling. He got right to business and knew exactly what to do, and was extremely friendly, going so far as to reassure me about how common my absentmindedness is, and definitely not one of those creepy, dirty/grungy grease monkeys (no offense if there happens to be one that read this). Even after the car was jumped and he got a call for another job, he took the time to talk to me (in the rain no less) about taking care of the battery and special deals that they offer for replacement. Exactly one week afterwards, I received a card in the mail with a very quick and easy to fill out questionnaire regarding the different aspects of their service (operator, repair truck, etc.) that took me less than 3 minutes to fill out. When I was finished, all I had to do is tear the card off at the perforation and drop it in a mailbox as it was already stamped and addressed. For me, I think AAA deserves an A+++!

No comments: